Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Debate This, Ole Miss Entries (Thoughts on Music)

"I Can Go the Distance"
So like an idiot, I did not get my absentee ballot application accepted in time for the election.

But because of the significance of this election and the integrity of my positions til this night, I would not back down and I am voting in this election.

Earlier tonight, as soon as I got out of band, I made the long 4 hour drive from Oxford, MS to my hometown of Brookhaven, MS. Along the way I made only one stop for gas and I drove straight on from there. Thankfully I have no classes other than band on Tuesdays. Later today I will go to the lodge building near my house and cast my vote for the next presidential candidate. Very shortly afterwards, I will take my next 4 hour trip back to Oxford just in time for band. Afterwards, I'll sleep.

To be honest, It's worth it to me! This election and our future are too important not to find a way to vote. To not vote would make me a hypocrit to everything I have said and written in the past few months. For me, I have literally "gone the distance."

"I know ev'ry mile
Will be worth my while
When I go the distance
I'll be right where I belong."
("Go The Distance" - Michael Bolton, Hercules Soundtrack)
Posted by Andrew M. Scott 11/04/2008 12:57:00 AM

"If You're Out There"
Grammy Award winning recording artist and concert performer John Legend premiered his new song, "If You're Out There," during the opening of the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado earlier this semester.

The song is an amazing call-to-action and evocation of human potential. "If You're Out There" reflects the themes of hope and change, responsibility and leadership, and commitment to a better tomorrow expressed in the principles of Barack Obama's campaign and the hearts of the American people.

In these troubling few months, the words of this song have become more meaningful in our need for inspiration and hope. Legend has definitely set the tone; one I can feel coursing through my veins in anticipation as the moment draws closer until a new President is named and America prepares for an uncertain future that will rely not only on a president, but ourselves.

When you listen to this song for yourself, let it light the darkness and give you inspiration.

"Oh I was looking for a song to sing
I searched for a leader
But the leader was me
We were looking for the world to change
We can be heroes
Just go on and say
If you're out there
Sing along with me..."
-John Legend
Posted by Andrew M. Scott 11/04/2008 12:09:00 AM

No comments: